OOPS! I messed up! I totally was going to sell these yesterday for $29...but forgot to do that. I will keep these for sale until the end of the week.
Follow the Pursuit of Compassion.
The other day I received a package in the mail from Dusty Baxley.
Dusty is a former 82nd Airborne Ranger, turned Transcendental Meditator, turned Veteran Healer. I met Dusty back in 2014 when he taught me a specific meditation tool...and we have stayed in contact since. The package included several mala beads that had seen their fair share of action. He thought I could give them a new life!
That got me to thinking...that is exactly what Dusty and the team he was working with did for me! The thoughts didn't stop there. I quickly linked these mala beads needing a new life with the mantra of Battle Tested...which is battle tested...not broken! These mala beads Dusty sent me are not broken, rather, they are battle tested. Instead of tossing them aside as such, Dusty sent them to me.
Just a few days later, I received another box in the mail. This time from Melinda Grafton. Melinda is the one who introduced me to yoga back in 1999. Melinda just retired from the Air Force and in recent years has began to explore her artistic painting skills. She also teaches yoga and makes some products to help aid in yoga/meditation practices. When I opened Melinda's package, I was shocked. This picture is only about half of what was in it. I had not spoken to her about my previous package. I was confused, so I contacted her. She said something very similar to what Dusty said. Basically, along the lines of she thought I could do something with these beads.
SO...I am now launching the Battle Tested Seva Project!
A NEW LIFE! Roger That Dusty and Melinda...I can do just that.
I have kind of been doing something very similar for the past three years. My good friends Sander and Christy Cohen from Dharmashop.com have been sending me 'goody boxes' filled with unique Tibetan mala beads and parts. I have essentially been giving these items a NEW LIFE...and using that money to support my Warrior Mala Seva Project.
Do you have any mala beads laying around...looking for a NEW LIFE? Would you like to help me make a difference? Perhaps you know of a local store who might be interested? Please forward this to anyone you think might be interested...and willing! I plan to donate the profits from the Battle Tested Seva Project to support programs that empower Veterans. Currently, that will be the Battle Tested Veterans Day event. The money will help offset Veteran travel costs associated with the event. Email me if you are interested: email@example.com
Here is the first one I have made! This is Saguaro Jasper, Hematite and an amazing handmade (maybe from Tibet or India) pendant with an inlaid piece of Green Aventurine. I can send you a PayPal link if you're interested in this mala. ($108)
ALL NEW WARRIOR MALA
This is the perfect mala for Battle Tested Veterans who are trying to be the best they can be post military service. This mala is designed with the Warrior in mind.
I am a big fan of Warriors helping Warriors...and the new Warrior Mala does just that. My good friends Sander and Christy from Dharmashop.com commissioned their artisans in Tibet to make these. You may remember there was a big earthquake a few years back that devastated the area. Purchasing one of these Warrior Mala beads not only will help the Warrior who wears it, but also help support the Warriors who support their families.
You can buy this mala for yourself, buy it for a Warrior | Veteran you know, or you can sponsor | donate.
I am currently supporting the following Veteran programs:
Sadly...it looks like the United States Postal Service (USPS) has increased their first class mail prices. Public math here...looks like it is about .22/ounce increase. Click HERE for more information.
FIRST OF ALL...THANK YOU...EVERYONE OF YOU...FOR MAKING 2015 AN #AUMAZING YEAR FOR MALAFORVETS!
As we wrap up yet another wonderful year...I can't help but think if I have been Naughty or Nice? NO JUDGEMENT...rather maybe a little curiosity and humor! I firmly believe...I might have been a little of both. Naughty because I still can't seem to say NO to any TACOS! Nice, because in 2015, I sent out hundreds of Warrior Mala beads to Veterans around the nation and helped raise nearly $7,000...plus a couple of thousand of dollars in prizes during the #22aDayChallenge.
SO....what is your story? Have you been Naughty or Nice? Drop a little line on THIS blog...and on January 2nd I will draw a winner for the White and Red Jade mala. ($108 )
Not only is Nine Line a sponsor for #22ADayChallenge...they are offering a 22% discount on their amazing apparel. They are #VeteranOwned...and I am proud they are sponsors.
We firmly believe that SUPPORT MUST PRECEDE ACTION…and that is why we not only picked accessible poses from Mindful Yoga Therapy, but we also have Veterans that represent just about every body type and yoga capability as hosts. Our hosts are broken down into three different groups: Modification, In-The-Pose, and To The Limits!
The #22aDayChallenge doesn’t officially kick-off until November 1st, but I would highly recommend you start following the hosts and the hashtag NOW…as we have already began highlighting the amazing Veteran Owned businesses that are sponsoring this challenge. Here is our list of hosts:
1. Chris E. | Retired Air Force | @afnbroadcaster
2. Ali W. | Navy Spouse | @yoga_w_ali
3. Emily H. | Army Spouse | @joyfulemily
4. Vito V. | Air Force Veteran | @mad.pupil
5. Kimi P. | Active Duty Air Force | @ki.mi.p
6. Vince G. | Active Duty Air Force | @af_yogi
7. Juan M. | Air Force Veteran | @squealingdog
To The Limits Group:
8. Liz C. | Navy Pilot | @lizcorwin
9. Justin B. | Marine Veteran | @polockblaze
10. Ryan M. | Retired Army | @the_rionmac
The first pose of the challenge will go live October 31st, and each night our hosts will post a picture and description of each pose.
HERE ARE SOME TIPS!
1. Use the Challenge Hashtags and engage with the community: Not only is it important so we can track who is participating…and who we can pick as our winner(s)…but it is a great way to engage with and meet a new Kula (community) ofyogis. Check in with other yogis who are doing the challenge, leave comments of encouragement for them. Follow new yogis who you find inspiring. A full list of hashtags, hosts and sponsors will be included in every post.
2. Post Daily: I know…like you don’t have anything better to do! Trust me…it is so much easier to stay up to date…rather than playing catch-up. PLUS…every day we will be picking a winner…so if you don’t post a pic…then you can’t win the prize(s) for that day.
3. You Are You: Yoga is a very personal practice and if you’re not used to posting pictures of yourself, or looking at other people’s yoga pictures…it might be a little hard. Don’t compare yourself to anyone. Everybody has a different body…and everybody has a different practice.
4. Like Other Yogi’s Pics: Support most definitely precedes action…liking a pic and leaving comments is a very thoughtful and compassionate practice.
5. Practice Taking Pictures: This might be the most difficult part…especially if you have no help. My phone actually has a voice command that triggers the camera, so I can get into a pose and say either “cheese” or “capture” and the phone will take a picture. If your phone doesn’t have this…consider downloading a camera timer app.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS…send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
HIYA all of you AUMazing Yogis! I am working on the final pieces of an upcoming Instagram challenge where I am raising money for MYT and Save A Warrior...as well as elevating the social conversation about the unfortunate by-product of PTS...the amount of Veterans we are losing on a daily basis due to suicide. I am now reaching out to yoga studios to see if they would be interested in being part of this #22aDayChallenge. Here is an infographic that I am using to seek out yoga studios. If you own a studio...please consider. If you don't own a studio, please share with the studios where you teach.